Clinic for Hereditary Breast and Ovary Cancer
The Institute of Human Genetics is a member of the certified Breast Center and the Gynecological Cancer Center of the University Medical Center Göttingen (UMG).
Breast cancer is the most frequent cancer in women in Germany (breast cancer prevalence about 80/10,000 women). A small group of women (about 5%) has a markedly increased risk of developing breast and/or ovary cancer due to inherited factors. Women and their families with a high risk of disease need to receive comprehensive and specific multidisciplinary counselling. To provide such counselling, 17 university medical centers have joined in the German Consortium of Hereditary Breast and Ovarian Cancer (Deutsches Konsortium für Familiären Brust- und Eierstockkrebs). The Breast Center of the University Medical Center Göttingen is a member of this Consortium.
In the Tumor Risk Clinic at the Breast Center, a team of gynaecologist, clinical geneticist and psycho-oncologist will inform you on the genetic aspects of the disease, available genetic testing and gynecological surveillance recommendations. If requested, psychological counselling will also be offered.
The following departments and institutes participate in the Göttingen Center within the Consortium:
Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics
Director: Prof. Dr. med. G. Emons
OÄ Berit Roekern (Head of Breast Clinic, Gynecologist)
Institute of Human Genetics
Director: Prof. Dr. med. Bernd Wollnik
Dr. med. Ulrike Engel (Clinical geneticist)
Institute of Diagnostic and Interventional Radiology
Director: Prof. Dr. med. Joachim Lotz
Dr. med. Susanne Wienbeck (Diagnostic radiologist)
Psycho-oncological counselling is offered by Ms Gerda Lücke, psychotherapist M.A., at the Breast Center and the Gynecological Cancer Center.
Contact and appointments
Patients and their families may contact the Breast Center Göttingen. Before scheduling an appointment, they will discuss with you whether your individual circumstances meet the following current criteria for inclusion:
- at least two women diagnosed with breast cancer, including one before the age of 51
- at least one woman diagnosed with breast cancer and another one with ovary cancer, independent of age
- at least one woman diagnosed with breast and ovarian cancer
- at least two women diagnosed with ovarian cancer, independent of age
- at least one woman diagnosed with bilateral breast cancer, with an onset of the initial disease before the age of 51
- at least one woman diagnosed with unilateral breast cancer before the age of 36
- at least one man diagnosed with breast cancer and additionally at least one woman diagnosed with breast or ovarian cancer
- at least three women diagnosed with breast cancer, independent of age
Most substitute health insurance funds (Ersatzkassen) in Germany have extended their criteria for coverage of costs to include:
- at least one woman diagnosed with triple-negative breast cancer before the age of 49
- at least one woman diagnosed with ovarian cancer before the age of 79
Please call the following hotline to check whether your situation meets these criteria:
Department of Gynecology and Obstretics:
Ms Veronika Behrens
For further information (in German), please see the websites of Deutsches Konsortium für Familiären Brust- und Eierstockkrebs and BRCA-Netzwerk.
The Gynecological Cancer Center provides counselling and advice especially to women with recurring ovarian cancer to ensure appropriate indication of the recently approved drug Lynparza™.
As a member of the Gynecological Cancer Center, the Institute of Human Genetics offers genetic counselling and molecular testing.
Genetic counselling may be advisable to women/families with a history of, for example, ovarian, endometrial, stomach or colon cancer who do not meet the inclusion criteria for hereditary breast and ovarian cancer. The gynecological tumors may be caused by mutations in other genes.
To obtain further information or to schedule an appointment, please contact:
Study office at the Department of Gynecology
Ms Veronika Behrens
Medizinisches Versorgungszentrum der UMG, Bereich Humangenetik
To schedule an appointment, please call on Monday through Thursday from 08:30 to 12:00
Ms Antje von Pietrowski